Monday, June 11, 2012

Our Version of Thermic Tablets

Z is 2 years 10 months old

Montessori thermic tablets are used to develop a child's awareness of different temperatures of different materials based on their heat conducting properties. So while metals and stones are cool to the touch since they are good conductors of heat, porous materials such as wood, felt and cork aren't since they don't conduct heat very well. 

Though I don't own a set of thermic tablets, I thought it would be a good experiment to do with Z since she loves touching and putting things to her cheek to feel them. I quickly raided my stash for the things that would provide the sensorial experience I wanted, and assembled this basket of materials for her to explore.



Z would take each item, place it to her cheek and then say if it was cool or not cool. These were the various materials and textures we used.


Felt (not cool)
a thin felt block made by folding a long strip of block into a rectangle and then sewing the edges.



Stone (cool)


Steel (cool)
This is a metal 'soap' to wash off the smell of garlic from your hands (this is just a marketing gimmick, you can use a metal spoon in the same way very effectively) I spotted it in Daiso many months ago, and wanted to buy it purely for the sensorial experience. This was my chance : )


Glass (cool)
Some souvenir I had from ages ago, I let Z handle this only when I am around .


Wood (not cool)


Cork (not cool) and Rubber (not cool) 
These are not pictured in the basket as they were added later.

Z enjoyed placing the materials to the cheeks, she also explored the textures and traced the edges with her fingers. The basket will be in her shelf for a week or so, but I will keep bringing out regularly to add variety into her sensorial experiences.

Linking up with:

Montessori Monday 






11 comments:

  1. Cool idea! I can almost see a matching activity of regular objects just like yours to my thermic tablet box! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I am planning on buying thermic tablets, but it never occurred to me that a matching activity of tablets to objects could be set up..thanks for the tip, I'll remember it when we get our box of thermic tablets

      Delete
  2. Wonderful activity! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my DIY Sensorial Extensions Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/diy-sensorial-extensions/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I'm always looking for ways to do Montessori works on a budget! I'll let readers at http://www.montessorimessy.com know about this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always on the lookout too for Montessori activities and materials that can be inexpensive or sometimes even free!

      Delete
  4. Just stumbled upon your site looking for inspiration for baric tablets DIY. I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're most welcome...thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was perfect for my post today on Inexpensive and DIY Thermic Materials. I featured your photo and post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/01/28/montessori-monday-inexpensive-and-diy-thermic-materials/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this idea for my son who has some sensory issues. This is very good for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure he'll really enjoy this activity

      Delete