Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Texture/ Discovery Cards




Z is 2 years 7 months old




Lately, I have been seeing a lot of blogposts on texture cards lately like here,here and here so I decided to make a set for Z as well since I had most of the materials in my collection of supplies as well as recycling pile.



Here is the list of items I used:

puffy stickers
diamante flowers from an old t-shirt
thin packing foam
different lengths of yarn
smiley face stickers
feathers
textured contact paper
chopped up bits of scrap felt
crocheted flower and bear
foam shapes
sandpaper
seed beads
googly eyes
corrugated paper
glitter
ribbon and lace
netting

All stacked and ready to be explored by Z

How it went : She was pretty excited and took out each card one at a time, feeling the texture with her fingers and laying it on the floor. She also stroked the feathers on her cheeks, shook the googly eyes card like a rattle and tried to remove the puffy stickers (was sort of expecting that) She took each card and asked me what it was, so I just told her the names like eyes, glitter, feather etc.


The smiley face stickers are looking in 4 different directions and smiling, Z imitated them and kept looking  left and right, below and straight and smiling as well...it was hilarious This lasted for about 15 minutes. I plan on describing the textures like smooth, soft, rough, shiny etc. to her in the future InshaAllah. 

Of course I intend on adding more cards to the pile every now on then. I also plan on making another set of cards with coins, keys, hot glue swirls etc that Z can make crayon rubbings on. 







No comments:

Post a Comment